After putting in our roof vent, the next job was to put in the 2 rear home windows! We determined to go for bonded rear windows as we don’t really must open them since we’re having openable side windows, and if we’d like any extra ventilation, then we will just open up the back doors instead. Because the side home windows aren’t going to be blacked out, we went for the green home windows, which is the standard glass colour.
We started by drilling some pilot holes from inside the van across the space that we needed to cut out. Shane made further pilot holes around the corners to make it a lot easier to cut around. Once the pilot holes were drilled, he lower around the space with the jigsaw to remove the interior panel. We determined to only do one window at a time, just to ensure it was all working.
Once the metal was cut out, we used the u-profile edge trim to assist seal the window and to make it neater (and safer) from the inside of the van. Once we spoke to the guy that we bought it from, he beneficial to start on the backside of the window and work up and round, just to forestall any water from getting inside the seal, and to overlap it a tiny bit, just to be sure that it’s all sealed!
As soon as the edge trim was on, we cleaned the outside of the Sprinter Van Windows with among the totalseal 7016 cleaner & activator to remove any filth that was on the surface. We then cleaned the back of the glass with it too, just to remove any dirt and grease from our fingerprints.
The entire totalseal products are designed to be used together, so we then used the totalseal 5028 primer and painted it across the glass panel where the adhesive could be used to aid with the adhesion and left it to dry for quarter-hour before applying the adhesive. You must also apply the primer to the van too for best adhesion (which we forgot to do).
We found that the adhesive was like a really thick tar, which was virtually unimaginable to use, however we found that heating the container up in some warm water to roughly room temperature helped to apply it. The nozzle comes precut with a ‘v’ shape into it in order that not too much is used.
Apply a thin layer across the edge of the edge trim in as shut to at least one motion as you can get, but not so shut that it’ll spill over when the pressure of the glass is pushed onto it. Make certain there are no gaps, in any other case water will leak through. You don’t wish to apply an excessive amount of, in any other case it should overflow onto the glass pane, or out of the sting of the glass like what occurred to us on the first window, which can cause leaks!
We then quickly positioned the window into place with the glass suction lifter. Luckily my dad had one, but in case you don’t have one useful, it’s pretty easy to just position it without the lifter. Be sure you place it a little bit higher at the top than the underside and make sure it’s far over enough in order that the two glass panels don’t hit in opposition to one another when you shut them! We put it proper to the edge of the pane, nevertheless it was an in depth one! You should definitely be quick though, because the adhesive dries really rapidly!
Once the window is in place, leave it to dry for a few hours. We left it in a single day to dry up, then checked to make sure it was waterproof. Shane poured water throughout the edges while I stood inside checking that no water came inside the van! And that’s just about it! It was such a simple job to do (most likely easier than the rooflight) and only took just a few hours to do both windows.